Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Being old sucks - Day 77 or something: Chicago, IL to Crown Point, IN

Every year, there is an event called RAIN. RAIN stands for the Ride Across INdiana. Most people do this in one day, all 140-some miles. I did not, because my knees are approximately 100 years old. Also, I'm carrying things, and they're not.

I'm not good at leaving at a reasonable time, unless I'm under threat of discovery and... stern talking-to, I guess. Since I'm white and well-spoken, that's the extent of what I expect if I'm found stealth camping. Side note: "stealth camping" is not a term I created. I'm not trying to sound cool, someone else was. Don't judge the messenger.

Anyway, I started riding east from Pete's place around the crack of noon. I rode directly to the nearest train station intending to ask if they dealt with Amtrak tickets, because my knees wouldn't allow me to climb the smallest hill even in my lowest gear. I got off at every slight incline and pushed the bike while keeping my right knee locked and my left knee moving only up and down, because each knee was complaining about different things. I remembered I had some ibuprofen and took some on the way, and for once in my life, it worked. It probably never worked before because I always refused to take it. By the time I got to the train station I was able to actually ride, if not well. I rode past the train station because I am not secure enough in myself to say "I quit" and simply be satisfied with what I had done.

I could have gone home to move on with my life, but instead I kept heading east because I'm stubborn and it's a challenge now. A rail-trail took me out of Chicago and to the Indiana state line. I didn't make it much farther before I spotted a convenient trail into a secluded area. I still had time to kill, so I sprayed myself heavily with insect repellent and sat on a rock for an unknown amount of time. I'd like to say I was meditating on mysteries of the universe, but I was alternately fighting to keep songs out of my head, thinking about people I met recently, and creating backstory for a sci-fi video game. I may have fallen asleep for a while, too. Eventually the bug spray wore off and it started to rain, so I crawled into my bag to hide from all the nature.

No pictures today, too much hurt. I should have taken a picture of the first "Fire Pence" sign, though. I'm really curious what Indiana thinks of Trump when they lean Republican but also hate Trump's VP, Mike Pence, who is their current unpopular governor.

No comments:

Post a Comment