Thursday, July 7, 2016

Couchstaying - Day 37: Rawlins

I waited a lot today. I woke up and waited for some of the women to be ready to go to a nearby cafe, which never happened. I waited to leave at the same time they were instead of jetting ahead. They waited until after noon to leave, at which point it started raining, so they waited more. I started getting unreasonably irritable, even though I could just as easily left by myself. I considered doing that until I thought about my Achilles' tendon, which was still giving me trouble, so I figured waiting wasn't the worst thing. Hans said we could all stay another night, so I accepted though the three women eventually did go. Calen already planned to stay something like 3 days to meet family.

Most of the day was spent researching my ankle issues, wandering aimlessly while experimenting with ankle issues, or sitting and contemplating ankle issues. The internet informed me that over-pronation can cause Achilles' tendonitis while running, so I tried exaggerated supination with that foot and found that it actually seemed to not aggravate anything. Hans, a triathlete, provided some helpful CBD muscle soreness cream (another reason he appreciated lack of government interference) and Calen gave me at least an hour of yoga instruction, so I felt pretty well taken care of.

I did make it to Thursday night music in the park, which featured a pretty good classic rock cover band that did well by Hendrix, Zepplin, Sabbath, and some other favorites. I failed to actually talk with anyone there because I was too shy to break into existing friend groups, and too slow to think of anything besides "Hi, I'm cycling across the country, what is Rawlins like?" -- which, in retrospect, probably would have worked just fine.

Calen was promoted to the huge bed for the night, and I went back to my couch. I can sleep anywhere, so I think she was way happier about the bed than I would have been. Being a yoga instructor, though, she's probably just happier than I am overall.

Here are some Calvin and Hobbes prints I really liked from Hans' wall. I used flash because I'm apparently not very smart:

No comments:

Post a Comment