Monday, June 27, 2016

Colter Bexit - Day 30: Colter Bay to Teton Village

Get it? Like, exiting Colter Bay? It's a politics joke, I'm sophisticated.

Anyway. Angus arranged a Warm Showers host for us tonight in Teton Village, which is a fancy ski resort town near Jackson, WY. Unfortunately, only he knew who the host was, and he left to go find Hamish when he didn't show up after a turn. We agreed to meet at a grocery store farther on, and after waiting about an hour and quizzing arriving motorists with no success, I decided they were gone forever.

I started to head back to the main Trans-Am route, but I had heard a lot of cool things about Jackson. It's supposed to be a very young and outdoorsy town, so I figured someone should be sympathetic to a lost cyclist that's been separated from his pack. I turned around again and fought headwinds to reach the only shop in Moose, WY, where Angus and Hamish happened to already be. Apparently they had taken another route to get there. Shortly after finding them, I received Hamish's message telling me where they were.

We left as a pack again toward Teton Village, traveling along a narrow road with traffic that included motorized "stagecoach" tours. While trailing along in their wake with cameras pointed at me, I felt like I should be part of the wildlife, frolicking and making dolphin noises to delight the tourists. Instead I focused on dodging potholes. My bike's past life as a mountain bike came in handy once the road turned to gravel - sliding around was a lot of fun, but seemed to scare the tourists. At least they gave me plenty of room.

A bike path appeared next to the road and took us into Teton Village. We met Cameron, our host, as well as his three roommates, all of which were as outdoorsy as expected with jobs like ski instructor, rafting guide, trail maintenance, and wildlife tagging/monitoring. Our bikes felt plenty at home in their stable of road and mountain bikes. My first shower in a week was pretty nice, and soon I'll have a clean bag of laundry too.

Some pictures from today:






No comments:

Post a Comment